Friday, December 17, 2010

What's in your name ~ Scrap-it-lah challenge + Friday pretties

It's another layout I make for 

December challenge is "What's in a name"


you need to include 2 things
(1) The meaning of your name
(2) A childhood picture

Let's start with my childhood picture


I don't remember this, but I can tell that it was taken from a photo studio, the white strip underneath the photo actually told me it was Studio Cathay 


In those day, to be able to afford to take photo at a studio is a big thing.
It was hand-written by my mom next to the embossed logo of the studio, the date - Oct 28, 1963


But when I flip over, the back of the photo printed - Oct 12, 1961. But whatever.....
Let's move on to my name


My chinese name is written (from left to right) Lim Chew Yen
Lim is the last name, Chinese has their last name in front, and we have no middle name, I can't remember how many times I need to explain to an American (especially government employees at an agency) it's just 2 chinese characters as our maiden name, some chinese names do have only one characters.

Chinese names are very meaningful, every word has its own meaning


Lim - means forest, the woods
so I pick a base paper with wood grain, and the green colors symbolized the forest


The 2nd character - chew


means - Autumn, is the favorite part of my name, I love autumn, I named myself AKI when I had Japanese lesson, Aki means Autumn in Japanese too, and it is a common name for Japanese girls
So I hand-stamped my pink cardstock with autumn leaves



Last character - Yen


means - swallow
swallow is a bird with tail like a pair of scssiors


So my chinese name means - an autumn swallow in the forest!

Ok, so much of a chinese lesson, now to my layout, LOL!










Thanks for reading to this point, hope you pick up 3 chinese words by now, LOL!


I am also sharing this at
Friday Pretties
Not a challenge site but a place to share your beautiful crafty things
Thanks to Joyce who created this space for pretty little things


Here's the link again


Scrap-it-Lah
You have till end of the month for December Challenge


Friday Pretties
A place for pretty little things




more links if you are interested


Pixie Dust Paperie
December Kit is in store, check it out now



21 comments:

Sue Lelli said...

OMGosh! That was fascinating! LOVED the lesson! And that pic of you is so ADORABLE! Your LO is pretty FAB, too! So many interesting details! LOVE the fancy flowers, too!

Sue Lelli said...

PS I'm going to be in Vegas in January - any suggestions? (Sorry to post it here but i couldn't find your email on your blog!)

~* steph :) *~ said...

beautiful, kirsty! you're so adorable!!! love the pink cardstock you stamped with leafs, so pretty!! i have a two part name too, hehe. well, it's my middle name. love all the layering and the pretty colors and flowers. thanks for sharing and hope you have a great nite! *hugs* steph :)

Jessy Christopher said...

That is a beautiful layout of your very meaningful & beautiful name!! Thanks for the Chinese name lesson, I enjoyed it :) I seriously love those flowers and the colors. You are one very adorable child!!

Tracy said...

That was a cool lesson in Chinese Kirsty. :-) Wish my name had all those neat hidden meanings. Your project is beautiful! Hugs!

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Wow, I love the colors and the blooms!! I enjoyed reading the meaning of your Chinese name. That's a brilliant idea of relating the meaning of your name to the supplies you used for the page!! :)

Sylvia said...

This is a gorgeous layout, Kirsty. I love your flowers, and your colors are wonderful! I loved the lesson in chinese, your name. I was not given a middle name either. My parents both disliked one of the two names given so they only gave us kids one name. You are right about the US govt not liking no middle, so I always use my maiden name on my passport. Have a great Saturday!

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

So so pretty, Kirsty. Chinese, so so difficult ;)
Have a great weekend. xxx

Martina said...

Love your chinese name - and how you included its meanig into the card. Full of petry - and so pretty!

Unknown said...

Loved taking your class Kirsty, also love how your LO turned out, very pretty! Ira

Ros said...

What a beautiful post ... I loved reading this and the meaning of your name ... a very pretty name for very pretty little girl ... your LO is stunning and so very meaningful ....

Lynnda said...

Hey Kirsty... I enjoyed reading the part about your name very Interesting... and how clever of you to medium to each meaning...perfectly fantabulous... nice colors...you just nail it... its just gorgeous... xoxo

lauren bergold said...

HOW COOL is the story behind your name...and the way you've illustrated each bit with your product choices and techniques is just ♥AMAZING♥! (plus that photo is just TOOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUTE! i'd have recognized you right away even as a teeny sweet girl!!!) ♥

cnelson said...

What a fabulous post! LOVED the story of the meaning behind your name and how you incorporated it into this perfectly GORGEOUS lo!!! So fab!

Stella said...

I love the story behind your name and thanks for the lessons. I have 2 (adopted) chinese nieces and their names are so interesting too....
And the way you created and decorated your LO...aww... Is it enoguh when I tell you that I love it to pieces? And that picture of you is sooooo adorable!

D said...

What a cute baby you were!!! Loved hearing what your name meant. My dughter's given name in Chinese meant healthy and new. If you get a chance head over to my blog :)

Nádia Teixeira da Silveira said...

Kirsty,,, you inspire me always...
I love be here.
Hugs

Lori said...

I love the name lesson - how beautiful! Your layout (including that darling picture of you) is beautiful, too! Love how the pieces match your name...

Ella Swan said...

Wow Kirsty this is so beautiful & meaningful - well done!

Georgianna said...

Oh, Kirsty, thank you so much for sharing this. I'm in love with the layout and your sweet photo. The background on the characters is so interesting. I also was not given a middle name. I really enjoyed this so much.

Wishing you a very Happy Holiday season!

- g

Chowchow said...

Love how you have explained your name in such detail. Thanks for joining in our challenge.

Happy New Year 2011