Wednesday, February 4, 2015

PTI Make it Monday #200 ~ Layering Cover Plate Die Cuts

In the Lunar Calendar, today is 立春 (Beginning of Spring), I hope all the unfortunate events happened at the Singapore Club I volunteer will come to an end, and SPRING brings hope and happiness, things will be going smoothly from today!

Chinese New Year is also on its way (February 19th), that inspired the New Year Card I make today......


for the challenge:


the cover plate I used is the latest release from PTI China Town cover plate


Red and Orange is the lucky colors for Chinese


I cut out the chinese characters 快乐安康  from my red packet....


快乐 means Happiness
and 安康 means safe and healthy
these are some of the things people said to each other on Chinese New Year, wishing your friends happiness, good health and be safe throughout the year, I framed it with gold trim because gold is another lucky color in the Chinese culture.

Wishing YOU, my friends 快乐安康 too!

When I finished the card, I saw a white area at the bottom of the card, kind of an eye sore for me, so I used the negative from this die.....




to make some confetti..... it symbolized red fire crackers, where you can see during Chinese New Year at most part of the world that celebrated the lunar new year (not from the place I grew up though, but I do seen it in pictures growing up) and gold coins, Chinese do like those, LOL!

I feel like I have to explain a little about the red packet I mentioned earlier too (seen here next to my card on the right)


the red packet is like a little envelope where you put money inside, give it to your kids, other children and your elderly like parents, grandparents during chinese new year, you'll received them regardless how old you are until you get married, then you give to others, that is why my sister refused to get married, LOL, just kidding! 

Overall, I am happy with my Chinese New Year Card, how about you?




24 comments:

Kara Lynne said...

Beautiful Chinese New Year card! I like how you incorporated so much symbolism on your card. Thanks for all of the explanations, I really don't know much about it.

Manuela said...

Hi Kirsty, wonderful explanation, wish you also 快乐安康 :-)
your card looks super and the gold details with the chinese characters is perfect. Love the look of the whole card!

Tenia Nelson said...

So so so COOL!!

Adam said...

awesome card

I also wish it was really the start of spring right now. Too cold

Rosemary said...

oh your card is sooo cool!! this technique really makes the China town coverplate pop!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!! This is gorgeous! I loveeeeeeeeee the colors!!!!!

Greta said...

I think they made that die just for you, Kirsty! What a wonderful card & thank you for the lesson on Chinese New Year! Wishing you health & happiness in the year ahead!

alexandra s.m. said...

Oh Kirsty! This is so funny, I just finished making cards with the very same die and the cable car ;)
Your card is splendid! What a brilliant idea you had to create a two contrasting impression! Love it!!
Thank You~

Nancy Penir said...

Kirsty, I love your card and all you explained about it! Happy New Year to you too, could not have been prettier. Love the symbols at the top, so sweet!

Denise van Deventer said...

Such a super card Kirsty and that die-cut is gorgeous! Chinese New year is pretty big here...so will look forward to the festivities and fireworks! ;-)

Tieva-Design said...

Beautiful asian style card.
Gabi

Linda said...

Very beautiful and cheerful, I love this!!! :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful card
elma

Ros Crawford said...

I think it's absolutely wonderful!! I LOVE the red! And those little dots really stand out ... Beautiful Kirsty and I hope your problems are resolved

Marcia Hill said...

Such a pretty card Kirsty with so much symbolism...thanks for explaining it all to me! And a very Happy New Year to you too! :0)

dawn said...

Hello Kirsty! WOW, it's so gorgeous and perfect for this holiday. So impressed with all you did and explaining it to us too, thank you. I had no idea about the traditions for this, you did a great job on it indeed.

We are below freezing and have over a foot of snow that keeps coming. The sun is out to fool us it's warm when it really isn't. Hope you are doing well. HUGS!

Unknown said...

That is really fantastic Kirsty! Love your Happy Chinese New Year card, oh so pretty, that die cut is perfect!!
Ira’s Crea Corner

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wow, this is outstanding! And I love how you included an explanation of the colors and sentiment. Absolutely beautiful work!

Sylvia said...

Gorgeous card for Chinese New Year, Kirsty, I miss celebrating with dinner out! Love the red and the lovely die you used! Happy Chinese New Year!

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, so stunning, Kirsty! I love this bold and colorful design! Very clever how you offset the die cuts to create the red "shadow", and love the gold banner on the top. Just so perfect for Chinese New Year!
hugs to you about the troubles at the Singapore club. I really hope everything works itself out real soon...

Maria said...

Wow! What a super fab card, Kirsty! Love the bold colors and how you gave the wonderful meaning behind the colors! Great touch of gold with banner at top and perfect with circles at the bottom of the card! Just a stunning card and post! Thank you for sharing it, Kirsty!:-)

Unknown said...

That is such an amazing die-cut. Such a great card.

Hugs~

Contagiously Crafty said...

Such a fun card- I love the white and red contrast with a splash of gold. Beautiful.

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE the colors and LOVE the oriental letters!