Thursday, August 29, 2013

From this to this....

If you remember not so long ago, I told you I was busy playing with paint? Not with paper though, I was re-decorating Clare's room.

Here's what the room looks like 3 years ago when we first moved in


The girls get to pick what they want in their room, Clare is a big fan of THE WHO and THE BEATLES, so you can see lots of colors of Great Britain there in her room.




and then when they moved to college, they leave me junk


My husband and I have different opinion when come to this issue, he doesn't like me "nagging" at them asking them to clean their own room, he said the room is theirs, if they want to live in junk, let them be, just close the door and don't see it.


My cleaning lady did tidy up the place a little bit after Clare left


but I still decided to do a make over, my husband thinks that we have way too many white walls in our house, literally every room is white when we bought this place, since it was newly painted, we didn't do anything.


2 days of hard work.....


really really hard work....


I got ache and pain all over after that


but.....


Tada.....



how do you like this room now?

wall decal from Kmart 12.99
birdcage from Michaels 3.99 X 2, used 40% coupon, final price 4.78 for 2


I bought this mirror from the thrift store for 1.50, it was in a cheesy golded color, so I painted it white to go with this room



this little shelf is also from the thrift store - 1.50, now you know why I love to go thrifting? all you need is just a little white paint and you can do magic with old junky stuff you bought from the thrift store


I hand-stitched this with the left-overs from the cushion cover


oh by the way, the cushion was hand-stitched too, I did it in the car while we drove to Sedona early in the summer 


this dresser was from Ikea when we lived in New York, I thought the color doesn't go with this room


so I did do a bit of research, learning how to paint on laminate furniture


tidy up the shelf, and that's about it



Clare loves the room, she has been back twice after I re-decorated and the room and the room maintained neat and clean since....


I am linking up with







22 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats so nice now

Elma

Ros Crawford said...

Oh WOW!!! What an amazing transformation!! I love the colour ... I have that in almost every room! And I LOVE the wall art!! Fantastic!

I can't believe you did that beautiful cushion by hand WOW!! Really kirsty you did a fantastic job ... those girls ought to cherish you!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wowwwwwwwwwww!! What an AMAZING transformation!! I loveeeeeeee the new colors and love love love the branch and birdcages!!!! GORGEOUS!!! I am going to have to research how to paint furniture too ... I want to paint my IKEA unit that I use on my scrap area ... it's cherry 'laminate' and I want it white! LOL!!

Sylvia said...

You finally got the bug I have, Kirsty, the painting bug! Your room looks fabulous! I have been painting closets in the kitchen, under the sink, the pantry and the laundry area! White has it's place...the trim! Pretty colors make one feel so happy...but you are right about the aches and pains! Have a fabulous Thursday!

Contagiously Crafty said...

What a great makeover. The room has been transformed! Well worth the hard work.

Sue Lelli said...

Wow! Gorgeous room! LOVE your step by step with all of your FAB finds! LOVE the branch and birdcages best!

Stacy Kay Brais said...

Beautiful room, I love all your wonderful finds and handmade touches. :)

Unknown said...

What a tremendous makeover Kirsty! Love how you did this and the decalls are gorgeous (as is the colour of the wall!) Fab job!
Ira’s Crea Corner

Jinny Newlin said...

What an amazing makeover, Kirsty! LOVE that wall color to bits! So serene!

Unknown said...

OH my stars.. What a difference. I LOVE it.. Your did a fabulous job my friend.

Hugs~

Glenda Atkins said...

You are an amazingly creative person, everything thing you do is wonderful. I think I am green with envy:O)! The room turned out beautifully!
hugs
Glenda

Unknown said...

Wonderful decorations and looks like you found some great deals. Fabulous.

dawn said...

WOW, it's beautiful! What a wonderful job you did with everything. I love the cushion and the dresser, way to go!
I would spend time in there and keep it neat too!!

My room is need of a makeover, how about coming over and doing mine, lol.

Thanks so much for your visit and sweet comment on my Project Life. I love this album so much, it's much easier then scrapbooking which is what I did before.
Have a good weekend!

sandi said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!! Such a difference! Looks like a completely different room. Fabulous!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

You have done a fantastic job! Love the white! WTG!!!

Michelle said...

What a gorgeous transformation! I have always had the "close the door" approach to kids and their rooms. Saves a lot of headaches, doesn't it?

Sue B said...

Wow! you have done an amazing makeover with this room Kirsty… it looks so peaceful and calming now… I love the colours and the wonderful branches with birdcages! you are so clever! ;-))
Hope you have a good weekend
Big hugs
Sue xx

Petti said...

Great makeover! Love your creativity with your craft projects!

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, what an awesome transformation, Kirsty! I really love the soft blue color, and all the white painted pieces just make the whole room pop! And how fun are those wall decals and birdcages, too!
Love the whole journey you took us on with this room. So fun to see all the stages to get to this final transformation. :)

Angi Barrs said...

What a gorgeous room! I love the colors and the birdcages!

Darnell said...

Well done, Kirsty! REALLY well done! {{applause}} I love the sea foam green you chose. It looks very similar to what I have here in my office/guest room. The furniture, layout, and wall décor are all perfect together. I'm a huge fan of thrift stores so bonus points for that and for how you painted the laminate furniture. The handmade cushion and heart art? Divine!!

Do you sometimes go in there and pirouette, smiling from ear to ear at your accomplishment? I hope so! I would be!! Darnell

Lynette Jacobs said...

Your room makeover is fabulous. That is my favorite color.