Thursday, September 24, 2015

Note to self

The Challenge:


I started playing along with Scrap-Challenge-Yourself last month following the lead from my blog friend Sharon, and I tell myself, making ONE 12x12 layout a month probably not too much for me, so I  am here for the 2nd layout for the challenge.

Here's the sketch....


and here's my layout....


NOTE to SELF:

Be soft. Do not let the world made you hard. 
Do not let pain make you hate.
DO not let the bitterness steal your sweetness.
Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree,
you still believe it to be a beautiful place.


As a Singaporean living overseas for more than 14 years, I long for the friendship of my fellow Singaporean, whether in New York City or Las Vegas, I want to find a group of Singapore to share our food, tradition, and speak our familiar "Singlish".


When we first moved here 5 years ago, I couldn't find any Singaporean group or club to join, through a friend from NYC, I finally met a group here called SAN (Singapore Association of Nevada). I was very happy and excited. A year later, the people in the group asked if I would take over the leadership and be the president of the club, they knew that I had many years experience serving the club in NYC, and thought that I could bring the club to a new level. I am not a power seeker, and like to be low key all the time, with the support of my husband, he also thought that I am the right person to take the position, not just for my experience but I seem to be the only person that do not have a full time job at that time, so I accepted.


I put all my heart and soul into the club, SAN's website had an internet presence one month after I took over, our membership increased and event attendees doubled after I became the president. I brought in sponsors for our events and applied for funding from our government, for the first time, the members  paid a subsidized price when we dined at the local restaurant for major events. Little that I know one member Jennifer was eye-sored for my achievement and felt that she had lost her "power", she started to find fault with everything I do, last November, the trouble finally surfaced. I had an email argument with her when she became too unreasonable, and next thing she do is to called members and started to gossip, for me, I am NEW to the club, but for them, they were together for more than 20 years, so a lot of them just take sides without even hear me out (of course, I didn't behave like her and gossip so nobody really know what's going on behind the scene), the matter gotten worst and Jennifer even said that she wants to be the next president when my two years term is over, and for one condition - Kirsty and Randy has to be kick out of the club, I was like, what did I do wrong? All my contribution to the club is selfless, I do not gain anything but give my time and effort, and money from my own pocket. Well, this thing has taken a lot of energy from me and DH's advice is, take the high road and let it go, let Jennifer do whatever she wants and we just step aside, so I did. After the handover in August, we left. It breaks my heart that I can't be with my fellow Singapore when comes to major holidays like Chinese New Year, Singapore National Day etc. It pains me when people do not see what the truth is but to take sides blindly. It hurts me even more when I think that this is what I get for being selflessly volunteering my service to the club just because I love my country and my people? Sometimes I get very angry that there is no justice and I was mistreated, when times like that, I remind myself - Be kind, be soft, do not let bad people change who I am.


so here you are - I finally let it out here on my blog. The wound is still new, I still try to avoid things like not going to my facebook page, because it is where they would post thing and photos about the event and gathering, that makes me sad...... I am making a small step here by "talking" about it, I hope this is another baby step towards my healing.

Thanks for reading!

18 comments:

Contagiously Crafty said...

Oh Kirsty! I'm so sorry for these troubles. My ears hear your hurt through the distance and over the weeks. I had no idea! I think your layout should be a touchstone - you got the right idea. Be you and trust that the next group is there waiting for you to find them. Til then, focus on all the good you do here at this blog, over at the City Crafter Challenge Blog, and at Our Beautiful World. Your true heart shines for people who are willing to see. Leave everyone else to their narrow mindedness. You are a bright ray of joy and good. Shine through these clouds.

Greta said...

Beautiful picture of you, Kirsty, & wonderful page! I'm going to copy the saying--easier said than done, but I know you won't let this unfortunate experience with a few bad people change the lovely person you are. I feel sorry for them--definitely their loss! Hugs, Greta

Anonymous said...

your LO is fantastic!
Hello from Elma

Sharon Fritchman said...

Oh my goodness, Kirsty. I am so very sorry to hear this. People can be so unkind, and I find that most of the time this stems from jealousy. Obviously she was jealous of the things that you accomplished with the group in such a short period of time. I will keep you in my prayers my dear friend. And I love, LOVE the message that your layout tells. Your journaling is powerful and touching. Also, I want to thank you so much for joining us at Challenge YOUrself! We are so happy that you did!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I am so so so sorry this happened to you! You are such an amazing, loving and giving person and it hurts my heart that this has happened to you!! Big hugs, love and support to you! Hopefully the group will see the error of their ways and will know all the good you did for them and welcome you back with open arms! Love you my friend and I am thinking of you!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh my friend ... We have never met in person but I know you are the sweetest kindness soul ... I feel your pain and the total injustice of what happened but it says more about the woman concerned than it does you... she must be very bitter. I hope you find your peace and that someday the group will see how badly they have treated you ... shame on them!

Sherri Caramico said...

oh Kristy, what a very strong person you are. It is not always easy to take the high road. It is so sad that others let jealousy into their hearts and are hurtful to others. I hope that you are able to find another group to share your holidays and traditions with in the very near future. The message in your layout is very true, and I wish you all the best. ((HUGS)) to you - from Sherri at The Challenge YOUrself Blog

Stella said...

The fact that Jennifer talks about you tells everything about Jennifer but NOTHING about you. Let her go. Kirsty.....We never met in in real but you are sincere, sweet, kind and with a BIG heart. It's awful to be treated this way. Without respect and judged by others. Let them gop I am aware that you miss your Singaporian friends. I am so sorry for that. But they should be ashamed of themselves. You deserve respect. Take care sweetie; a big hug!
XXXX

My not so simple life said...

Beautiful layout, so sorry to hear about the trouble you have had but its very admirable that you choose not to let it drag you down. Thanks for joining in with us at Challenge YOUrself.

dawn said...

Kirsty, I'm so VERY sorry to hear all this, how awful and sad for you. I've never met you but can tell what a warm giving kind woman you are from your posts and our talks. It's so hard in this world when others act out this way, upsets me so much.
This layout and your words show just how nice you are, they are beautiful and I'm so proud of you for them and your attitude towards being hurt. I hope you will do more of these layouts and hope they can be a happy one for yourself. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I've always loved hearing about where you are from, it shows how much love you have for your people and country. Please continue to share that here with us, here we are all your friend and love you.

Sending much love and hugs dear friend!!
I came by to tell you I posted 17 PL pages, maybe they will cheer you up a bit. Take care xo

Manuela said...

Kirsty, I am sorry to read about your anger with this person. I can understand your feeling. Some people just have the need for power to distinguish oneself!
I agree with Stella, let her go and that she is talking about you tells everything!
Your saying is great also your beautiful layout.

Audrey Pettit said...

Oh, Kirsty, I LOVE your page! Such great colors and fabulous layering!! But I am overwhelmed by your journaling and your story! I knew there was trouble in your club, but never guessed it would be this. It is so sad how the bitterness of some can ruin the good for the whole. They have made a big mistake in letting her take over, but for what it's worth, I think you did the right thing, the adult thing, and I hope you can take some comfort in knowing you did. Thank you for sharing your story. We're all here for you!

Sue Lelli said...

I am so sad for you, Kirsty. I literally feel your pain. Note to self should be something you look at and remind yourself every day. Not only is this a GORGEOUS page but it is so true. Don't let the mean people rain on your parade. Life is too short. YOU are a sweet and kind person. Just focus on the good in your life - which you have a lot of- take a deep breath, and let the mean people go. THX for sharing!

ÅsaJ said...

It´s a beautiful page! Love all the soft colours and the details. Thank you for joining us at Challenge YOUrself! Hope to see you again.

Tracy P said...

This is great! Love your take on the sketch and I love your title work. Thanks for joining in with us at Challenge YOUrself

kate blue said...

put it out to the universe and see what happens! Love how heartfelt this layout was-it shows us that scrapbooking is all about scrapping the good, bad, happy or sad times. Love the soft feel of the layout, all your embellishments are gorgeous! Kate (Challenge YOUrself)

Susanne said...

I am so sorry that you had that terrible experience, and I applaud your attitude of trying to cope with it gently. That's wonderful advice on your pretty layout.

Denise van Deventer said...

So sad to hear that you had to leave your club over one ladies jealousy and then the others just being sheep and not having their own heads to decide! It's never easy to just take the high road and forget...and they have certainly lost in this deal!! All things happen for a reason and I hope that you can make peace with it. I am sure there is something bigger and better around the next few corners!! xx